Nutrition and you
Gut Health – Your Insides Matter
Most of us are familiar with the vital role of the digestive system in the body. It breaks down the food we eat into nutrients. These nutrients can then be absorbed into our bloodstream so our body can use them for energy, growth and repair.1 It makes sense then, that a healthier digestive system means a healthier us!
How do I keep my digestive system running smoothly? Here are some recommendations from the Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA):2
Eating a healthy diet
- Eat foods rich in fibre (vegetables, fruit and wholegrains/cereals)
- Reduce the intake of processed foods, especially those with large amounts of saturated fats, salt and preservatives that can be harmful to the body
- Watch your fat intake – eat moderate amounts of ‘good’ fats (omega-3 and omega-6) and reduce your intake of saturated fats (eg, animal fat)
- Drink less alcohol
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water
- Take medications as directed by your healthcare professional
Eat moderately, slowly and regularly
Try not to skip meals and do not over eat in any one meal.
Smoking can make existing digestive tract conditions worse and increases the risk of many cancers. Be smoke free. If you are ready to quit smoking, speak to your health professional or call Quitline on 13 78 48.
Ensure and your digestive health
Ensure contains prebiotic fibre, which helps to feed the beneficial bacteria in the gut and support digestive tract health.3
- Health Direct. Digestive System. Available at: https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/digestive-system. Accessed on 2 October 2018.
- Gastroenterological Society of Australia. Maintaining A Healthy Digestive System. Available at: https://www.gesa.org.au/resources/patients/maintaining-a-healthy-digestive-system/. Accessed on 2 October 2018.
- Abbott Australasia. Ensure Product Information. Data on file.